Text: Matthew 9:9-13
Theme: The Nature of Following
- Jesus calls the unlikely to follow Him.
Later, Matthew invited Jesus and his disciples to his home as dinner guests, along with many tax collectors and other disreputable sinners.11 But when the Pharisees saw this, they asked his disciples, “Why does your teacher eat with such scum? Matt 9:10-11
- Jesus will only help those who admit they need help.
When Jesus heard this, he said, “Healthy people don’t need a doctor—sick people do.” 13 Then he added, “Now go and learn the meaning of this Scripture: ‘I want you to show mercy, not offer sacrifices.’[d] For I have come to call not those who think they are righteous, but those who know they are sinners.” Matt 9:12-13
- Jesus doesn’t ask people to change so they can follow. He invites them to follow so they can change.
As Jesus was walking along, he saw a man named Matthew sitting at his tax collector’s booth. “Follow me” – Matt 9:9
Principles of Following
- Following Jesus involves choice.
- Following Jesus involves movement.
- Following Jesus involves relationship.
Application: What do you think about the sermon point that Jesus doesn’t ask people to change so they can follow. He invites them to follow so they can change? Do you also convey this message to others?
Prayer: Pray with each other as is appropriate for your group. Pray for your path to following God and for others who don’t know Him yet.