DEALING WITH EMOTIONS – ANGER
TEXT: Ephesians 4:26-27
26 And “don’t sin by letting anger control you.” Don’t let the sun go down while you are still angry, 27 for anger gives a foothold to the devil. (NLT)
- Good Anger: Proper anger is directed at wrong behavior and those who facilitate or encourage wrong behavior. We should be angry at that which destroys others or offends the character or Kingdom of God.
- Bad Anger: Sinful anger is mean, personally hurtful, or abusive. Sinful anger often results in rage or a loss of control. When anger (or any emotion) controls our life, we are in trouble.
Handling Anger Inappropriately
We suppress anger.
Explode in anger.
The Reasons We Must Control Anger
- Nothing good comes from unproductive anger.
- Uncontrolled Anger will destroy us.
How do we control our anger rather than letting it control us?
- Embrace Your Position in Christ.
- Be Aware When Anger Begins to Rise.
- Stop and Consider the Story you are Telling.
- Identify the Source of Your Response.
- Deal with Anger immediately.
- Take Responsibility for your Anger and Choose to Release it.
- Finally, Look for the positive.
Anger is often inappropriately expressed by ventilation (blowing up) or internalization (clamming up). Do you tend to struggle with one more than the other? If so, which?
- MY NEXT STEP TODAY IS TO…
- Memorize Ephesians 4:26
And “don’t sin by letting anger control you.” Don’t let the sun go down while you are still angry,
- Pray and ask God to help me control my anger when it comes to ________________________________________.