What was one of your least favorite nicknames you were called growing up? Why did you dislike your nickname?
Read 2 Corinthians 5:17-21 and Isaiah 62:2. We learn in these verses that in Christ we are all new creations and labels no longer apply because of the new name God has given us.
- What negative labels follow your name? How have these labels influenced the way you see yourself?
- How should having a God-centered view of yourself change the way you see yourself?
Read Matthew 16:17-18, Jeremiah 29:11. These passages show us that God has given us a purpose and a new future.
- How have you let the labels of your past limit God’s plan for your future?
- How can knowing the future God has planned for you help you overcome your negative labels?
- What was your biggest take-away from the weekend message? • What did God say to you today through His Word? And what are you going to do about it!
Next Steps Here are some specific things you can do this week that will help you overcome the negative labels of your past and embrace the purpose and future God has given you:
5 Day Devotional
- Share with God the negative labels that you have in bondage. Ask for His help to free you from these labels.
- Ask God to help you take your greatest weaknesses and turn them into your greatest strengths.
- Ask God to show you the purpose He has designed for you. Ask Him to guide you in taking your next steps towards embracing that purpose.
- Thank God for the new name, purpose and future He has given you because of your life in Christ.
- Commit to God that you will no longer allow the labels of your past hold you back from embracing your purpose and future