Romans 8:26-27 (NIV)
26 In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans. 27 And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for God’s people in accordance with the will of God.
Holy Spirit intercedes for us.
but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans.– v.26
The Holy Spirit intercedes with groans that words cannot express.
Holy Spirit prays effectively on our behalf because the Spirit prays in accordance with God’s will.
Romans 8:34 (NIV)
34 Who then is the one who condemns? No one. Christ Jesus who died—more than that, who was raised to life—is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us.
We have earthly assistance and heavenly assistance!
SOME HELPFUL PRINCIPLES FOR PRAYER
First we need to see that God wants us to pray.
We need to understand the purpose of prayer.
Effective prayer seeks God’s will (as the Spirit does).
Simple methods for determining the will of God.
- Get your heart into such a state that it has no will of its own in a given matter. When we are ready to do the Lord’s will – whatever it may be—nine-tenths of all the difficulties are overcome.
- Ask God to reveal His will to you.
- Resolve not to rely on feelings alone (“I just feel this is what God wants me to do” or “I have a peace about this”). Our feelings are short-sighted, often self-centered and fickle. Relying on feelings may make us subject to delusion.
- Ask for the Spirit’s guidance as you study the Scriptures. The Spirit and the Word must be combined. If the Holy Spirit guides us, He will do it according to the Scriptures and never contrary to them.
- Look at the circumstances of your life. Are there open doors you may need to walk through? Are there some other circumstantial signs as to the direction the Lord may be taking you?
- Consider all of these things and make the best decision you know. If after bringing it to the Lord, you have His peace, act accordingly.